Monday, September 21, 2015

Some great mysteries of chemo (hair edition)

Today starts my seventh week on this chemo regimen, and I've been collecting various observations on the mysteries surrounding the side effects of this whole process. I could tell you about the gastrointestinal stuff, but rather than grossing you out, I'll go for the easy part: the hair.* Here we go:
  • I got a buzz cut three weeks ago, yet I continue to see long hairs in my bathroom sink. Where do they come from?
  • Along those lines, I no longer have a cat. I no longer have much hair. WHERE ARE THESE DUST BUNNIES GETTING THEIR FUR????? Is there some sort of Hair Fairy that visits chemo patients?
  • Why is it that the gray hairs are the ones that are most persistently staying in my scalp?
  • Okay, I'll hit one gastro issue: why does Cafe Bustelo work when laxatives don't? (Not that I'm complaining, mind you.)
  • Back to that gray hair: why is it that it seems to be showing most prominently in the center of my scalp? I feel like that unfortunate black cat who knocks over the can of white paint in the Merrie Melodies cartoons, only to be relentlessly pursued by Pepe Le Pew.
I've considered asking my oncologist, but I think she's full up on my silly questions for now.


* To be honest, the digestive/gastro stuff hasn't been too awful for me. Not yet at least. Kinahora

No comments:

Post a Comment