Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Week Ten!

Yes, it's week ten. Yesterday I got my fourth infusion of six, so I'm now officially over the hump and into the second half of my treatment regimen. (Even better, with the next one, I'll be two-thirds of the way through!) My oncologist is still feeling really good about my reactions and progress; my blood test numbers are within range, I guess.

Given that we're getting closer to the end of this, I've been getting curious about the timing for the next stage: radiation. She tells me that usually that starts three to four weeks after the last chemo infusion, which would put us right before Christmas. She didn't get too specific -- probably because we can't know now whether I'll need more or less time to have this shit wash out of my system. And who knows what they want to do about the holidays. From what I understand, radiation is five days on (weekdays), two days off (weekend), so they probably don't want to get started when holidays will break up that rhythm.

I'm of two minds about it. I'd like to get it started so it can be over. But, I'd also like to be able to enjoy the holidays without feeling exhausted. I already know I'm going to feel crappy for Thanksgiving, since my last infusion is only three days before that.

Anyway....

I meant to report back on the charity dinner the SO and I went to last week. You remember: the one I'd contemplated going to hairless. I tossed on the new wig, which looked great, and nobody was the wiser, I think. Only one person there has any idea about what I'm going through, and he said nothing to me. There were so many people there that we ended up spending not much time with anyone we know very well... and the folks we did know had nice things to say about my 'new do.' I did kind of wonder if the one "knowing" person had told them ... and they weren't saying anything but trying to be supportive... but whatever.

It was so great to eat whatever I want... and have a couple of drinks. Even if I did end up with a sore throat the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment