Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Thank God the Mets are doing well

Since I learned that my breast cancer treatment would include chemo, I've been thinking of ways to incorporate a sense of humor into some of the inevitable side effects. As many of you know, I:
  • am not really big on drama, 
  • don't want the "pink ribbon" treatment, 
  • shy away from the characterization of 'being brave' or what have you when it comes to the treatment. (Like, what the hell am I going to do, NOT have the treatment and constantly worry I'm gonna get cancer of the hoo-hah?)
  • yada yada yada...
So, off and on I've been considering how I'll address the inevitable hair loss that comes with having a bunch of toxic chemicals pumped into your system. 

Honestly, when it was a 'far off' (i.e. a month away) probability, I was able to be a bit more cavalier about it. I joked that for Halloween, my wonderful SO and I could go as Gomez Addams and Uncle Fester. I bragged to some of you that I'd have a couple of joyous months where I don't have to shave my legs or underarms.

Now it's becoming a reality, and while I'm not thrilled about lotsa hair coming out of my locks when I drag a comb through, I realize I have to do something about it. I feel like a freaking dog that sheds a lot. (I mean, do you realize HOW MUCH hair I have? While it's really fine, there's a lot of it!) I have a call in to my hairdresser, who offered to come to my house and help me out (I'm hoping she meant she'll do the honors at this point, not just that she'll help as the hair comes back in and looks like crap.), but in the meantime, I'm kinda dreading that point where it really starts to show on my scalp. 

I bought a few "turbans" to cover my bases -- they're really more like nice caps that fit low on the head, covering half the ear and a good part of the forehead as well as the space in back. That said, I'm also looking through a bunch of hats, caps, etc. that I've collected over the years, determining whether they'll provide enough coverage for my already oversized cranium.

Then I realized: I have a couple of Mets caps that might do the trick. Not the beat-up, grungy, one-size-fits-all cap I insisted on wearing in the early 80s when the team was truly awful, but ones that are appropriately sized. (Do you know how hard it can be to buy a 7-3/4 cap off the shelf?) 

Luckily the Mets are on a good tear right now - hitting like crazy and obliterating the opposition. And after a series of good personnel moves, it appears that they'll continue to perform well during the final stretch of the season. That means that I may be able to use the cap at least to October, provided the team doesn't have another of its epic collapses. 

The big problem is that my cap looks practically brand new. I may have worn it two or three times before putting it on the shelf, which means that I'll end up looking like a bandwagon-jumper. Oh, well. So be it. And hey, if the Mets do have one of their epic collapses, at least I'll know the pitying looks I'm getting are because of the cap and not my bare scalp.  

No comments:

Post a Comment